Hi,

I think data regarding carpentry should be shared even if it is carpenters
that are requesting it. Heck, the carpenters are likely the ones who can
supply the demand that encourages open carpentry data availability. Mode of
sharing can be encouraged to be kept public so that the other carpenters
can also access it and it isn't monopolized.

Example: Don't message it to that carpenter personally, put it on GitHub or
something.

In fact, we might have a situation where some rich carpenter has put in a
ton of money into acquiring that data already and is sitting pretty with a
monopolistic advantage. Sharing the same openly might just help level the
playing field between the competing carpenters. Heck, that's usually the
case.

Whatever the motivations of individual carpenters, increasing the sum total
of open carpentry data will always bring more benefits to the carpentry
profession and those affected by it moving forward. After all, haven't your
local bakery's cakes been getting tastier since recipes started being
shared openly?

Because the monopolizers most likely already have it and have had the
resources to acquire it long before any open data folks came on to the
scene, it's silly to imagine that little you or little me can in any way
hinder those folks by closing down access to everyone - that approach only
entrenches the monopoly and turns us into enablers of the monopoly.

If you agree in principle with the above then feel free to apply it to
other professions.

Regards
Nikhil VJ
https://nikhilvj.co.in

Full disclosure: no association with any carpenters ;)