Some responses inline below

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 12:46 PM Sharad Lele <sharad.l...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think Thejesh's idea of a joint response is excellent, and am happy to
> contribute.
> My immediate observation is that
> a) the RS policy does not cover drones/UAVs, which according to me is the
> hot area, where a lot of application development is also required. The UAV
> related policy by DGCA is purely regulatory (what permissions are required
> etc), not developmental

The title says "Space based remote sensing", so including UAVs probably
need a policy of its own. UAV operators are already able to sell data and
services - provided they comply with DGCA, so not sure how this policy can
help further.

> b) the opening of 5.6m imagery is great. HOWEVER, there is lack of clarity
> of whether the govt will continue to support the IRS P6 (or equivalent)
> programmes well into the future. There is no clear commitment. There is
> talk about past images, and open sharing, but obviously if commercial
> players come in, their data will not be shared. So a bit more clarity on
> whether (like USA) the state agency will continue to do imaging till 5.6m
> resolution and leave the 5.6m to 1m field for commercial providers is
> required.

Good point. We need state commitment to continue providing medium-res data.
Another concern would be making this data available. If the data is not
made available soon after acquisition - it is not really valuable. There is
no commitment to making the existing data available in a timely manner to
the public.

> c) the shift from NRSC to a socalled PSU is noticeable and its
> implications unclear. What we do know as users is that NRSA is not
> particularly accountable to users in terms of quality of data, transparency
> in what they do (they will suddenly stop taking requests for imaging on
> particular dates, saying they are doing a full run for govt), technical
> transparency (quality), and promptness. And it is not clear in the policy
> how this accountability will be enforced vis-a-vis the PSU either.
> d) The USA defines 'high-res' as 0.5m and below. That's why commercial
> providers stop at 0.6m. (please correct me if I am wrong--or if this is
> outdated). We should use the same threshold, not 1m. Because otherwise our
> data users are unnecessarily penalised, while 0.6m data on India are
> available to users located in the USA or elsewhere!

US's hi-res limit was 50cm till 2014 and was revised to be 25cm now (with a
caveat for Israel imagery at 40cm
<https://spacenews.com/u-s-government-to-allow-sale-of-high-resolution-commercial-satellite-images-of-israel/>).
Maxar now sells 30cm images commercially. If I understood the policy
correctly, the new threshold for India in this policy would be 50cm.

e) accountability of the high-res committee--they simply turn down requests
> without any reason. Who holds them accountable?

f) If commercial providers are to come in from India, how will they beat
> existing global suppliers of 1m data such as Ikonos and others who are well
> established?
>
> Companies like Planet sells data between 70cm-3m and targeting a wide
range of industries that need high temporal resolution. There's growing
market for hi-res SAR data. I think there are opportunities for companies
to compete by offering localized solutions and services along with data.

Some quick thoughts, to spark further debate in the group and help in the