Thanks for the comment involving Open-CPU which is important. Definitely I will at least still base the data.tables and a lot of the code permanently in R's data table.. I have no doubt that R's data.table is far faster than anything else. The problem is in the lack of a high-speed non-web based user interface for a richdesktop app. (other than using a client-server architecture).

For highly interactive use, I found Shiny and rhandsontable too sluggish for huge tables.

Looking for what is the nearest thing to R's data.table on the .Net platform itself, for those cases where that is needed, F# and Deedle seem to be very attractive possibilities that I am now exploring.

http://bluemountaincapital.github.io/Deedle/csharpframe.html
http://dacrook.com/battle-of-the-programming-languages/

Deedle is an easy to use library for data and time series manipulation and for scientific programming. It supports working with structured data frames, ordered and unordered data, as well as time series. Deedle is designed to work well for exploratory programming using F# and C# interactive console, but can be also used in efficient compiled .NET code.

The library implements a wide range of operations for data manipulation including advanced indexing and slicing, joining and aligning data, handling of missing values, grouping and aggregation, statistics and more.

The above feature set sounds very similar to R's data.table!

I am sure that data.table is far superior in performance and function to Deedle (partly based on this article: http://www.extremeoptimization.com/Blog/index.php/2014/01/data-frame-library-preview/ ). However, Deedle may be "fast enough" in the subset of cases where I do need to work with directly with data frames in the front-end C# desktop app for interactive speed.