Hi all,

A real data.table question here ;-)

I am currently doing this:

output.dt <- input.dt[,lapply(.SD, method.function), by=by.dims]

where method.function is an arbitrary function and by.dims is a list of columns (although perhaps I could remove this is the data.table was keyed by those columns?)

That doesn't look very data.table-y to me, potentially it would be great to do it with := in the proper data.table way.  Is that possible?  I have tried a couple of things but haven't managed. The problem is that I need to be flexible to deal with arbitrary columns in my data.table.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Matt

--
Dr Matthew Forrest
Senckenberg Biodiversity and Climate Research Centre (BiK-F)

Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
Rechtsfähiger Verein gemäß § 22 BGB
Senckenberganlage 25
60325 Frankfurt

Direktorium: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Volker Mosbrugger, Prof. Dr. Andreas Mulch,
Stephanie Schwedhelm, Prof. Dr. Katrin Böhning-Gaese, Prof. Dr. Uwe Fritz,  PD
Dr. Ingrid Kröncke

Präsidentin: Dr. h.c. Beate Heraeus

Aufsichtsbehörde: Magistrat der Stadt Frankfurt am Main (Ordnungsamt)