On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Matthew Simon Cavalletto wrote:

>    # Our core calendar
>    DateTime::Gregorian            -- Our primary, modern calendar
>    DateTime::Gregorian::Language  -- Internationalization
>    DateTime::Gregorian::RichParser - Based on Date::Manip et al.

Except as you point out, this could confuse people who don't think of the
calendar as the Gregorian calendar.  I know I didn't think of it that way
until after getting interested in the whole datetime thing for Perl.

>    # Regional variations of the Gregorian calendar get namespaces
>    DateTime::EasternOrthodox::Christmas

But people won't want the date of Christmas in the Julian calendar!
They'll want it in the Gregorian calendar, at least 99% of the time.

>    DateTime::Hebrew::Passover     -- Was DateTime::Algorithm::Passover

Same here.  Generally speaking, users will want to know when Passover
falls in terms of the Gregorian calendar, not when it falls in terms of
the Hebrew calendar.

And given that _all_ calendars _must_ be able to convert to and from each
other, it's trivial to conver the Gregorian Passover dates to Hebrew
calendar dates.

>    DateTime::Epoch::Posix         -- Just a blessed time() value
>    DateTime::Epoch::HiRes         -- Based on Time::HiRes
>    DateTime::Epoch::TAI64         -- Based on Time::TAI64
>    DateTime::Epoch::TAI64N        -- Based on Time::TAI64N

Epoch?  Huh?  This has nothing to do with epoch.  I think you mean
DateTime::Implementation or something like that.

>    # Other generic geometry or utility modules filed at top level
>    DateTime::Handle::SelfUpdate    -- Wrapper to allow $dt->hour(17)

Ugh, I really don't want this code to exist.  I'm going to make the
base object updateable.

> Does it invite others to add their own modules? Pushing the main
> implementation down a level might seem like a meaningless detail, but
> my hope is that it helps to signal to other module authors that they're
> not going to be second-class citizens.

But _most_ module authors are going to be writing code related to the
Gregorian calendar.  And the fact is that non-Gregorian calendars _are_
indeed "second-class" (as in, not in common worldwide usage).  This is not
a slight on their implementors.

Given that the one person who has implemented the most non-Gregorian
calendar code, Rich Bowen, has not complained about Gregorian being given
special treatment, I'm inclined to think this is a non-issue.

-dave

House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com