On 1/19/03 12:26 PM, Dave Rolsky wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, John Siracusa wrote:
>>> That's a nice idea, but people may want to use these modules without using
>>> DBI
>>
>> And so they can.  What's stopping them?
>
> Nothing.  I'm just saying that the API needs to work both for standalone
> use and for use by the DBI modules.

Okay, but my point was that "standalone use" of db-specific date formatting
and parsing (i.e. in the absence of a $dbh) will be very rare (assuming we
do get it hooked into DBI as proposed).  So while it should still certainly
be possible, don't spend too much time sweating over interface "sugar" for
db-specific parsing/formatting.

Just make the db-specific APIs and class hierarchy simple and orthogonal:
straight-forward to use, and without any real concern about one or two extra
required arguments or lines of code to do common tasks (since it'll be done
in one place inside a DBD, and then rarely used directly outside of that
context).

> Actually, we have one DBD maintainer on the list, David Wheeler (DBD::Pg).
> He might be a better person than I to start a discussion about this on
> dbi-dev.  I'm on that list, so I'll chime in as needed.

Okay, I'll pursue that.

-John