On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Dave Rolsky wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Peter J. Acklam wrote:
> > In relation to week numbers and day of week numbers, there are
> > at least four parameters that must be customizable:
> >
> >    1) What is the first day of a week (Sunday, Monday, ...)?
>
> I just need method names for this.  Monday as first day of week is
> "day_of_week" (Monday is 1) and "day_of_week_0" (Monday is 0).  Equivalent
> methods using Sunday are welcome, but they need good names.

So if I want to use Sunday as the first day of the week every will
method I use will have "sunday" in it? What if for some business reason
I decide that it's easier to do my calculations if Wednesday is the first
day of the week?

How about:

use DateTime;
use DateTime::Lingua::EN;
use DateTime::Lingua::FR;

DateTime::first_day_of_week( DateTime::Lingua::EN::SUNDAY );

or maybe we can make english the "blessed default language like we are
doing for the Gragorian Calendar"

DateTime::first_day_of_week( SUNDAY ); # Exported Constant?

DateTime::first_day_of_week( DateTime::Lingua::EN::DIMANCHE );

And then use the '_0' methods as desired if you want a 0 based index

I'd prefer the above plus $d->weekday_num_0
over
$d->weekday_num_sunday_0;
$d->weekday_num_wednesday_0;

> >    3) How many days of a week must be in the new year before
> >       the week is considered the first week in the new year?
> >       (ISO: 4, US: 1 and 7)
>

> Eek, I'm not sure I want to touch this yet.  But if people have good mehod
> names, I'm happy to include it.

DateTime::min_days_first_week_of_year(7)

If it's a Class value and is object overridable ...

Clayton