Dave Rolsky schreef:
> Here's the thing.  Yes, the object would contain more precision than the
> original data, _but_ presumably if you are only exchanging "year and
> month" data, then you will only look at the year and month of the returned
> object.
>
> It's really hard for me to think of a case where you would not know the
> expected precision in advance.

Think for example of history or genealogy. Of some events we know the
full date, of others only the month or the year, or even the century
(e.g. the birth of King Arthur was in 04). And some dates will be
expressed as time intervals, either because they are really date ranges
(World War II: from 1939 to 1945) or because they are only approximately
known (King Arthur again: born between 450 and 500).

One file can contain dates of varying precision, and you can't tell the
precision of an individual date in advance. If DT::F::ISO8601 returns
a DateTime object of 1234-01-01T00:00:00 for the ISO8601 strings "1234",
"1234-01" and "1234-01-01", you have a problem.

Eugene