Dave Rolsky wrote:
>On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Eugene van der Pijll wrote:
>> Businesses in Israel, Iran and in the Arab world probably use a business
>> calendar based on the Hebrew, Jalali and Hijira calendars. It would be
>> nice if one module could be used for the Gregorian calendar and for
>> these three calendars.
>
>Actually, I'd guess they use a business calendar where the work week is
>still Monday - Friday (or through Saturday), but where _holidays_ are
>determined by a given religion, which in turn uses a different calendar.

Wrong - at least, wrong in Kuwait circa 1989.  Friday was the day of rest,
and the work week was Saturday through Thursday.  I was only there for a
week, but I was expected to work Saturday and Sunday.

I would expect orthodox Israeli establishments to observe Saturday as the
day of rest -- more precisely, from sundown on Friday to sundown on
Saturday.  I don't know whether they have a two-day weekend, and if they
do, which is the other day.

--
Jonathan Leffler ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
STSM, Informix Database Engineering, IBM Data Management