> I wanted to use the timezone long names for users to indicate their current
> timezone/DST but many of the major cities are missing from the list. How
> does somebody from say, America/Dallas, indicate their timezone? I'm
> assuming that they would select the nearest city to their current location
> which in this case would be America/Chicago. Are there any DST issues I
> should look out for seeing as Dallas and Chicago are in different states and
> at different ends of the same timezone? Would it be better to use a GMT
> offset in this situation and if I do, how does DateTime work out DST?

I'm half awake here but I'll get it a try.

Olson timezones are not per city but per observance 'region' including historic
observances for an area.  It can be confusing because a city name is used to denote a
geographic region.  This makes some sense as city names are a lot more likely to make
sense to someone unfamiliar with a particular area.

If there were different observances then there should be a separate entry in the Olson
DB.

Here is an explanation of the basic concept:

http://www.mindspring.com/~gwil/tconcept.html

When in doubt use UTC, in fact you should probably be normalizing to UTC anyways, as
it will save yourself a lot of hassle down the road.

Cheers,

-J