Dave Rolsky wrote:

- Allow only a fairly limited set of recurrences, store them as iCal strings, and query based on string contents. This limits the flexibility of the system, but is potentially quite efficient.

This is what I've done in the past. The iCal string is only the recurrence part. I stored my boundary dates in separate columns. It worked quite well for me -- however, I was developing the back-end for the application, which was all Perl.

There was also a front-end for the application that was written in PHP -- in this case the PHP developer had to write some routines to *generate* those iCal recurrence strings based on a form.

Let me know if you'd like more details -- it's pretty straight forward.

Matt