The basic format seems good. I'm not sure about using weak_ref, though
-- what if an object or structure falls out of scope, yet there's still
a key in the data registry? If another ref comes along whose fingerprint
matches that key, does it end up getting replaced with undef ? (I'm kind
of sleepy at the moment, so I could be misreading the code).

Also, as originally implemented in the context of DateTime::TimeZone, I
was using class structures and class methods. You've moved it into
object mode, which is fine, but I'm curious as to how you utilize the
shared object. I'm assuming it's a single object in the DT::TZ base class?

Cheers,
Matt