On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 10:46:24PM -0300, Flavio S. Glock wrote:
> Dave has started DateTime, and I'm working on Pugs modules
> DateTime::Span, DateTime::SpanSet and a new module called
> DateTime::Recurrence, as well as the base modules Span, Recurrence,
> and Set-Infinite. Everything is under the /ext directory.

Dave has started down a path for something which is/will be engineered
very differently from the p5 version of DateTime.  I'm not saying this
is a bad thing, especially in the long run, I'm just trying to start a
discussion point on what the 'best' way to do things for the time being
is.  Hopefully sparking the interest of people (other then just Dave" to
work on the p6 implementation (myself included).

> I'm splitting the modules into a functional "implementation" class and
> a OO "api" class.
> I found this separation useful when writing tests and optimizing. The
> functional base objects can be memoized if desired, and it allows to
> have multiple implementations under the same api.

That does seem reasonable.  Those modules don't have the complex
interdependencies that DateTime has with timezones, locales etc.  I
think it will be a large enough effort to get the DateTime <->
DateTime::TimeZone interaction working under p6 without going through a
major design overhaul at the same time.  Then again, I do tend to be a
pessimist...

Cheers,

-J