(Adriano: I'm forwarding to datetime@perl.org)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Adriano Ferreira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 07/05/2007 08:19
Subject: Unauthorized release: DateTime-Cron-Simple
To: Module Authors List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

A while back, I wrote a replacement to DateTime::Cron::Simple distribution:

   The original, by Brendan Fagan
   http://search.cpan.org/dist/DateTime-Cron-Simple/

   The new one
   http://search.cpan.org/~ferreira/DateTime-Cron-Simple-0.3/

That rewrite was prompted after a calling by Adam Kennedy:

  Request for Volunteers: DateTime::Cron::Simple Replacement
  http://use.perl.org/~Alias/journal/31155

The issue was that the distribution had no license and contacting the
author for taking care of this was received with silence or with harsh
answers:

   A June 2006 thread
   http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.modules/2006/06/msg49264.html
   A September 2006 thread
   http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.datetime/2006/09/msg6433.html
   More
   http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.modules/2006/09/msg50928.html
   http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.modules/2006/09/msg50939.html

That was briefly discussed in datetime mailing list,

    http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.datetime/2006/09/msg6447.html

with some suggestions about the proper name and implementation. It has
to be said that Dave Rolsky disapproves the current namespace (as can
be read in the mentioned thread). The module has at least one
significant user: WebGUI. And so it is important for those who rely on
WebGUI and its dependencies. Even if WebGUI adopted one of the
solutions pointed out at the discussion, the previous versions would
still use DateTime::Cron::Simple.

The main point raised by Adam and shared with me was that an
API-compatible code was needed with a clear license. And that was
which I wrote. However, the distribution stood there at CPAN without
the apropriate permissions, so that Brendan's version is what CPAN
shells see and there were not much opportunities for this code to be
tried.

So I would like to raise the discussion again asking for the right
permissions to make this an authorized released with correct indexing.

Best regards,
Adriano Ferreira