On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 9:43 PM, Evan Carroll <m...@evancarroll.com> wrote:
>> which dies with the error:
>>
>> Cannot determine local time zone
>
> Well ubuntu doesn't set the TZ env var, so check out the source for the
> fallback
> http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/DROLSKY/DateTime-TimeZone-0.86/lib/DateTime/TimeZone/Local/Unix.pm
>
> That is what your system should be using to determine timezone.. My
> initial guess is /etc/timezone doesn't exist or doesn't have the
> timezone.. It should have it..
>
> mine reads "America/Chicago" also on Ubuntu 8.10. Good luck

Yes, that's it. /etc/timezone did not exist on my machine.

I opened the System/Administration/Time and Date and it
did not have a timezone. I guess it lost it at one of the upgrades
though I don't know. Anyway I set it to Asia/Jerusalem, closed the window
which created the /etc/timezone file containing Asia/Jerusalem.

After that the sample code ran fine.

Thanks for your help
   Gabor