I understand your concern, although a proliferation of slight variation modules
will create confusion in it's own way. I'll attempt to construct a new module
to parse the format.

Do you have any reference from the official standard to this consistency issue
in the format? If so, I can take it up with Salesforce, since they claim
they're standards compliant and that's what's causing my pain.

Regards

Carl