On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 12:00:33AM -0400, Ted Byers wrote:
> The most obvious reason is that there are a great many more cities in this
> world than are named in the basic timezone.  Such a service is essential if
> you want to support determination of the proper timezone from, e.g., a
> mailing address.  Given that is seems so obvious to me, it is a wonder that
> someone hasn't alreay written a package that bridges the gap between
> geo-coding and the timezone database; but maybe one wouldn't be too hard
> built on something like the geonames database.

I would certainly find it useful for there to be a module that, say,
answered the question "what is the timezone in city X", with support for
all cities in the world of population over, say, half a million people,
and potentially added (dynamic?) aliases to the canonical timezone.

(After all, my timezone, UTC-0800 (winter), UTC-0700 (summer) has many
representations in the olson db which (as far as I know) are currently
identical - America/Vancouver, America/Whitehorse, America/Dawson,
America/Tijuana, and America/Los_Angeles.)