On Sun, 26 Jun 2016, Steve James wrote:

I am the principal developer for the FreeToastHost website system, a free
website provider, content management system, and email list server used
by over 10,000+ Toastmasters public speaking clubs worldwide.  Toastmasters is
a non-profit and much of the labor to support clubs is done on
a volunteer basis.  FreeToastHost is an independent effort created by
Toastmasters club members from open source libraries and via
volunteer labor.  (myself included) FreeToastHost uses a number of your
DateTime module functions.

We have recently ran into an issue where it appears that DateTime does not support "Etc/"
style names for timezones.  (e.g. "Etc/GMT+6")

For example, the following produces an exception for me when running in a plain
vanilla test script:
            my $today = DateTime->today(time_zone => 'Etc/GMT+6');

Is there something I am missing or is this as intended?

There is support in the code that parses the IANA db files to generate these zones, but they're not included by default.

Note that these zones are _very_ confusing, and I strongly recommend against using them. The IANA definition of "Etc/GMT+6" is a zone 6 hours _behind_ UTC. This is a historical POSIX thing. Only very very technical (and probably old) users would ever expect this.

As Rick pointed out, you should encourage people to use zones named for a city anyway, since that way you get the appropriate DST transitions included.

Cheers,

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)