Hi Kenric,

On 5/11/07, Kenric Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Not much help, but I know the kernel (and ramdisk) images are working
around blocks marked bad at the factory.  I have programmed many boards,
and some of them print out extra messages when I write to NAND under
linux about skipping a bad blocks.   The do boot fine, but if I cat the
entire memory region with a bad block, it is exactly one block smaller
than it should be.


Thanks for the information but I am still looking at what is the
format of the bad block table that si created by the MTD NAND layer
when the nand_scan_bbt is called. If I select something like 2 bits
per block then will the table be something like
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|   block num  |  block type  ||   block num  |  block type  |
| 16-bits         |   2 bits        || 16-bits         |   2 bits        |
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

where first 2 bytes represetnt block num and 2 bits of next 1/2 bytes
will be block type(good, bad, factory bad)?? I am not able to
visualize this structure from the nand_scan_bbt code.. If I can know
how this structure looks like then I can search for this and load it
so that my bootloader is in sync with the bad blocks developed during
updating process..



-----Original Message-----
From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
sp.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
davincidsp.com] On Behalf Of Meher
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 12:15 PM
To: davinci-linux-open-source
Subject: Using NAND flash bad block management

Hi,
    I would like to know if the current U-boot code on davinci has
support for Bad block management? I think davinci boot code expects
U-boot to be present at some aprticular location in NAND flash and say
if that block becomes bad, what does the ROM code do?
  Also how does U-boot manage the location of kernel image in flash
moving around because of bad blocks?

--
Regards,
Meher
_______________________________________________
Davinci-linux-open-source mailing list
[email protected]
http://linux.davincidsp.com/mailman/listinfo/davinci-linux-open-source



--
Regards,
Meher
_______________________________________________
Davinci-linux-open-source mailing list
[email protected]
http://linux.davincidsp.com/mailman/listinfo/davinci-linux-open-source

Reply via email to