Hi Viral,

I have changed the frequency and checked it on a socpe at about 50Mhz,
its definately a crappy driver for writes. I have not checked reads yet,
but from the scope data they must be over triple the write rates.

A chap from on another forum got in touch with me, he dosent know the
Davinci platform, but rather the OMAP2/3 and apparently they are getting
significantly faster performances.

Using the following script:-

//*********************************************************************

echo STARTING

umount /media

mount /dev/mmcblk0 /media -o sync
echo COPYING 80MB megabytes
time dd bs=8192 if=/dev/zero of=/media/tstfile count=10240
echo UMOUNTING
time umount /media

echo DONE

//*********************************************************************

I get these results:-

Card
   Minutes
   Seconds
    mbit/s
   mbyte/s
512 Integral
MMC
      1
      58
     5.42
     0.68
1GB Integral
MMC
      2
      1
     5.29
     0.66
1GB Kingston
MMC
      3
      35
     2.98
     0.37
1GB Sandisk SD
      5
      15
     2.03
     0.25
512 Sandisk SD
      9
      25
     1.13
     0.14

I think its about time the people at TI get to work on a proper driver,
there must be loads of people who would like some decent speed for
writing. This causes all sorts of issues when writing video to the
MMC/SD and really eats up system resources.

Can we please have a Ti response regarding this? 

Regards,

Andrew


On Sun, 2007-05-13 at 10:20 +0530, Viral Sachde wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
> 
> I feel that you are getting this results because of low freq. Can you
> try and increase freq. I think you will get information for how to
> increase freq in manual. (you will need to set couple of reg.s)
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Viral
> 

>         
>         
>         
>         On 5/11/07, Andrew Armstrong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         >
>         > I have some more information regarding this issue, I have
>         been testing
>         > out the driver and discovered that in fact varying of the
>         internal
>         > settings, dma, 4 bit access etc does not make any
>         difference. 
>         >
>         > A scope revealed that the card is only being accessed only
>         for a
>         > fraction of the time. So the key to getting this upto any
>         reasonable
>         > speed is increase the rate at which the kernel services this
>         device. 
>         >
>         > Any ideas?
>         >
>         > Andrew
>         >
>         >
>         > On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 10:04 +0100, Andrew Armstrong wrote:
>         > > Hi Guys,
>         > >
>         > > I have been experimenting with the MMC/SD interface. I am
>         finding that 
>         > > transfers are really slow, with figures like 3.96 mbit/s
>         (async) and
>         > > 2.94 mbit/s (sync).
>         > >
>         > > Does anyone know anything about the MMC driver and where
>         the bottleneck
>         > > is? I am considering modifying it accordingly, but I do
>         not yet have 
>         > > enough understanding of driver and hardware involved.
>         > >
>         > > Is there any way to gauge what the theoretical
>         through-puts to this
>         > > device should be?
>         > >
>         > > Regards, 
>         > >
>         > > Andrew
>         > >
>         > > _______________________________________________
>         > > Davinci-linux-open-source mailing list
>         > > [email protected]
>         > >
>         http://linux.davincidsp.com/mailman/listinfo/davinci-linux-open-source
>         >
>         > _______________________________________________
>         > Davinci-linux-open-source mailing list
>         > [email protected]
>         >
>         http://linux.davincidsp.com/mailman/listinfo/davinci-linux-open-source
>         >

> 

_______________________________________________
Davinci-linux-open-source mailing list
[email protected]
http://linux.davincidsp.com/mailman/listinfo/davinci-linux-open-source

Reply via email to