Hi Dirk, > I think we should take a two step approach here: > > 1) Have *one* functional, flexible, extensible, under public source > control (...) open source replacement for TI DaVinci bootloader. > > 2) Try to use this then "golden" bootloader to start a basic > discussion about the above topics on e.g. uboot list. > > In my opinion we are currently at (1), and this should be done > locally in DaVinci community, so on DaVinci mailing list. If (1) is > done, go on with (2). Looking at your dv-boot.tar.gz I think (2) is > not far away ;) >
I agree with 1) and 2). I also agree with the idea of using this list for discussion. Once more, I agree with the fact that dv-boot is an almost complete opensource replacement for to TI UBL/DVFlasher. However I think that MMS tools [1] provide beter alternative to TI UBL/DVFlasher. They have several design advantages and I personally think that they are more complete and mature than dv-boot. >> As for the actual DaVinci bootloader, it is in attached tar.gz. It is >> not >> polished, ugly at places but it works and it doesn't require any >> Windoze, >> sorry for an expression, "servers" or proprietary tools. It works with >> both >> small and large page NAND. >> >> There is a rather brief readme inside the archive that explains what it >> is, >> how to run it and documents formats. >> >> Any comments are welcome. Sergey's sources are really nice. I like the rewritten NAND support and the idea of using kermit for UART code uploads. If we decide to go on with his solution, however, we would have to add NOR support, NAND bad blocks support and CRC calculation on booted images. I personally don't like the idea of having one UBL binary that tries to do everything. > > Now, regarding technical topics. I read your readme, looked at the > code, so some questions & comments: > > - I really like the idea to use a kermit script instead of a C/C++ > host tool. > > I think kermit is available for Windows as well? And mk_ubl.c should > compile at least using cygwin und Windows as well? So I think dv-boot > can be used on Linux *and* on Windows? Anybody tried Windows already? > > - I like the idea to have no C# and to have GPL license. > > - In your text above and in readme you stress NAND usage. I think NOR > should be mentioned as well. Anything to make it more clear it can be > used with NOR *and* NAND. Then longer NAND explaination is okay because > NAND is more tricky. > > - It should be mentioned that CROSS_COMPILE environment variable has > to be set before calling make. > > - In readme.txt, I think the term "UBL" should be used instead of > bootloader. For me, bootloader is uboot, so I find it more clear to > talk about TI specific UBL instead of bootloader if UBL is meant. > > - Fix for some cast warnings in utils/mk_ubl.c in attachment. > > - That make clean doesn't remove .dep directory is unclean. I tried to > fix this in Makefile, but then you have to fight with dependency > generation. Have to rethink about this (or anybody else?). I think to > remember that I already solved this elsewhere in the past ;) > > - Directory organization: I would rename "utils" to "host". "src" I > would rename to "target", and then move include into this directory as > well. Result would be a host and a target directory. Maybe scripts > should go to host directory as well? Something like > > readme.txt > Makefile > host/utils > host/scripts > target/src > target/include > > ? > Let's take the topic further. Provided that there are so many davinci-based boards, I think that we also need an easily configurable build system. What do you think about kbuild? > - Regarding version control: For step (1) above, what do you think > about to > have it unter git control on > > http://source.mvista.com/git/ > > I talked with Kevin and it is possible to get a repository for dv-boot > there. That's great! I'm a noob to GIT, but now I have a really good reason to learn it :) > > Conclusion: For me, I vote that your dv-boot is the candidate for (1). And did you take a look at my tools? I personally think they are a better candidate! BR, Ivan [1] http://www.mm-sol.com/itonchev/ _______________________________________________ Davinci-linux-open-source mailing list [email protected] http://linux.davincidsp.com/mailman/listinfo/davinci-linux-open-source
