>>> PCLK, HSYNC, VSYNC are generated by the CMOS sensor. I don't think you
>>> can set the timings. Depending on sensor settings, pixel clock speed
>>> etc
>>> .., the frame rate will vary.
>>>
>>> You could perhaps play with the CMOS sensor registers so that when
>>> settings a standard, the driver somehow set the various exposition
>>> parameter and pll settings to get a specified framerate.
>>>
>>> This will vary with each sensor and each platform (because of
>>> pixelclock). More over, chances are that it will be conflicting with
>>> other control.
>>>
>>> For example if you set a fixed gain and autoexpo, some sensor will see
>>> a drop in fps under low light conditions. I think this kind of
>>> arbitration  should be left to userspace.
>>>
>>> Unless the sensor supports a specific standard, I don't think the
>>> driver
>>> should try to make behind the scene modification to camera sensor
>>> register in response to a S_STD ioctl.
>>
>> The S_STD call is hopelessly inadequate to deal with these types of
>> devices. What is needed is a new call that allows you to set the exact
>> timings you want: frame width/height, back/front porch, h/vsync width,
>> pixelclock. It is my opinion that the use of S_STD should be limited to
>> standard definition type inputs, and not used for other devices like
>> sensors or HD video.
>>
>> Proposals for such a new ioctl are welcome :-)
>>

> Hmm,
>
> Why would we want the *application* to set things like this *at all* ?
> with sensors hsync and vsync and other timing are something between
> the bridge and the sensor, actaully in my experience the correct
> hsync / vsync timings to program the sensor to are very much bridge
> specific. So IMHO this should not be exposed to userspace at all.
>
> All userspace should be able to control is the resolution and the
> framerate. Although controlling the framerate in many cases also
> means controlling the maximum exposure time. So in many cases
> one cannot even control the framerate. (Asking for 30 fps in an
> artificially illuminated room will get you a very dark, useless
> picture, with most sensors). Yes this means that with cams with
> use autoexposure (which is something which we really want where ever
> possible), the framerate can and will change while streaming.

I think we have three possible use cases here:

- old-style standard definition video: use S_STD

- webcam-like devices: a combination of S_FMT and S_PARM I think? Correct
me if I'm wrong. S_STD is useless for this, right?

- video streaming devices like the davinci videoports where you can hook
up HDTV receivers or FPGAs: here you definitely need a new API to setup
the streaming parameters, and you want to be able to do that from the
application as well. Actually, sensors are also hooked up to these devices
in practice. And there you also want to be able to setup these parameters.
You will see this mostly (only?) on embedded platforms.

Regards,

        Hans