>> On 7/25/2012 9:16 PM, Karicheri, Muralidharan wrote:
>> > All,
>> >

>> > I am working to migrate DaVinci platforms to common clock framework.
>> > While doing so I would need your support in terms of answering any
>> > questions that I have, reviewing patches and testing. I have started
>> > with DM6446 and I got the following questions to you. Could someone
>> > clarify this for me?
>> >

>> > 1.   davinci_clk_disable_unused(). From the description of the function
>> > header, I understand this was added to disable lpsc modules that are
>> > left enabled by the bootloader. So it appears that this is a hack.
>>
>> I wouldn't call it a hack. Reducing dependency on bootloader is a
>> desirable feature.
>>
>> > Ideally bootloader needs to disable all of the modules before it enters
>> > the kernel and this function shouldn’t have been there. Can someone
>> > clarify if this is still needed?
>>
>> As you said that's in ideal world. Even if the latest bootloader had the
>> code in place to do this, I suspect many would be stuck with old
>> bootloaders on their boards so this is still required.

Agreed. But to support this, I think I need to enhance the clk API interface.
There is a function is_enabled() that can be implemented by the driver (
clk-psc in our case), but how do we know if a clock is in use or not. So
a new API needs to be added is_inuse() or such which returns the enabled
count. Once we have this, we should be able to implement
davinci_clk_disable_unused()
with common clock framework. I will send an RFC for this enhancement if
this is not available already.

>> > 2.   In dm644x.c, for dsp_clk, usecount is set to 1 with a comment
>> > “REVISIT how to disable”. This is true for timer2_clk as well as
>> > vicp_clk. I see similar things on other DaVinci platforms. Have someone
>> > investigated why this hack is required? Any volunteers to debug and root
>> > cause this? In common clock framework, we wouldn’t be able to support
>> > this hack and has to be debugged and fixed. Any comments?
>>
>> I have no idea why these were put in. If you drop these hacks on
>> existing kernel, do you see any issues? vicp_clk sounds like a video
>> clock. Cc Manju and Prabhakar for comment on that.

As I have said before, I need your team's help to test this on DM devices.
I have a DM6446 that I can use to do a boot test. I have most of the code
ready for DM644x and will start testing this next week.