On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 03:48:33PM +0200, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
> On Fri 09 Jul 2004 14:10, Tim Bunce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 01:09:29PM +0200, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> > >
> > > I accept, that the DBI is an important application. But your points are,
> > > IMO, an indicator, that v1 should receive further maintenance, perhaps by
> > > someone else.
> >
> > As I've said previously, DBI v2.0 is mainly about changes to the DBI<->DBD
> > interface.
> >
> > Here's the list of changes that may break _applications_:
> >
> >     Redefine tables() to default to tables accessible from current
> >     schema without further qualification.
>
> Why not create a new method call, as you (IMHO) should have done in 1.38
> The change of behaviour in the tables () method is a straightforward nightmare
> for me. Adding those quotations broke about all my applications.

Some of mine too. But quotes are technically required whenever a
schema name and table name are combined. Without them you can't reliably
separate the names as they may (in theory) contain '.'.

What I probably should have done is "redefine tables() to default
to tables accessible from current schema without further qualification"
_and_ made tables not use quote_identifier in that case if the name
matched /^\w+$/.

But let's not get into that now. They'll be plenty of time down the road
and I'll be open to suggestions as we go.

> >     Always taint check the $sql for do() and prepare()
> >     if perl is in taint mode (can't be disabled).
>
> These two lines belong together, right?

Yes. But like most items in the ToDo it needs more thought.
It's more a statement of direction than a specification at this stage.