At 1:33 AM +0000 2/2/07, Tim Bunce wrote:
You can download it from
    http://homepage.mac.com/tim.bunce/.Public/perl/DBI-1.54-RC1.tar.gz

I'd be grateful for any testing, and especially for feedback on DBD::Gofer
(previously mentioned as DBD::Forward, but DBD::Gofer is a much better name :)

I did a make, make test on 2 similar but non-identical Perls, ...

Both of these were on a Mac PPC G4 where the current OS is 10.4.8 and current gcc is 4.0.1. The Perls are a 5.8.8 built under 10.4.7 but otherwise the same, and a 5.8.7 built under OS 10.3.9 and GCC 3.4. The errors appear to be the same in either case.

In both cases, 'make' succeeded without problems, but 'make test' showed about 34% failing. Practically all the failures were with the t/zv* tests.

The failures all seem to come down to a missing dependency which DBI's Makefile.PL doesn't mention:

install_driver(Gofer) failed: Base class package "Class::Accessor::Fast" is empty. (Perhaps you need to 'use' the module which defines that package first.) at /Volumes/Programming160/downloads/DBI-1.54/blib/lib/DBI/Gofer/Request.pm line 10

Considering that Gofer is optional, and to make the DBI as simple as possible to install on many systems, I suggest both updating Makefile.PL to mention the optional Class::Accessor dependency, as it mentions the optional PlRPC-modules dependencies now.

Moreover, you should test for the existence of said dependency and skip all the Gofer tests if it isn't present.

-- Darren Duncan