On 05/27/10 11:05, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
On Thu, 27 May 2010 09:53:02 +0000, Jens Rehsack
<rehs...@googlemail.com>  wrote:

Hi developers,

during refactoring of DBD::File and new wishes (e.g. SQL_IDENTIFIER_CASE
from Martin Evans, getinfo() support, ...) and my own try of a pure-perl
DBD for system tables (DBD::Sys) I see many common code.

I would like to extract the common code into a base class DBD - maybe
named DBD::SQLPerl (placed SQL in from for private methods and attributes
naming - the should have the prefix "sql_").

I know at least two additional DBD's which could benefit from that:
- DBD::Google from Darren Chamberlain (I don't know if he is subscribed
    to dbi-dev@perl.org)
- DBD::Sys from me

If there are more, it would be great to know about them.

I do have no objections to refactoring common code into a new module.
I've got no opinion (yet) for the name(space) of that module.

Maybe Tim or Martin have a good proposal :)

What I would like to see though, before we end up in quicksand, is to
first `finish' the f_meta work, so DBI would at least be releasable
again. Call me conservative, but that would make me happy.

Sure, but I would favour a development release over a real release.
I want to add some more test (DBD::File, DBD::DBM) and some documentation
how to implement DBD'S based on DBD::File as well as new DBD::SQLPerl.

And I'd like to add a link to http://dbi.perl.org/support/ (section:
"CREATING A NEW DRIVER").

Jens