On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 11:24:51PM +0100, Martin J. Evans wrote:
> On 04/10/2011 22:38, Tim Bunce wrote:
> >I've not had time to devote to this thread. Sorry.
> >
> >I'd be grateful if someone could post a summary of it if/when it
> >approaches some kind of consensus.

> I don't think there is a "kind of consensus" right now (although
> some useful discussion which probably will bear fruit) and I'd
> prefer to work out what unicode support already exists and how it is
> implemented first. [...]
>
> I've started gathering together details of what unicode support
> there is in DBDs, how it is implemented and what special flags there
> are to support it. However, this is a massive task. So far I've done
> ODBC, Oracle, CSV, Unify, mysql, SQLite, Firebird

That seems like enough to make a start on design issues.
There's certainly a wide range of databases in that list :)

> examples I have which verify unicode support

Are the examples in a repo somewhere?

> I thought the whole issue was an interesting topic and I had toyed
> with doing a talk for LPW but to be honest, it is already taking a
> lot of time and I have personal issues right now (and of course my
> $work) which mean my time is severely limited so I'm doubtful right
> now if I could have it ready in time as a talk. I might just post
> what I have gathered in a weeks time in the hope I get a little more
> input in the mean time.

Good idea. I'd like to see the examples sometime to see what scope they
have and if/how the might be improved.

Perhaps we could carve out some time at LPW to sit together and try to
progress this.