On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:50:37 -0500, Yanick Champoux
<champ...@pythian.com> wrote:

>   [OTHERS]
>   - change the shebang line of examples to the more modern '/usr/bin/env
> perl'
>      [RT74001]

Personally I really really hate this change

App::Ack was the first I noted to make this horrid change and I always
revert the shebang line to reflect my production perl

I (very) often work on "other" perls than the one that is installed and
to make testing these with modules (like DBI, DBD::Oracle and many many
more, I temporary change my $PATH to have the perl I am testing first

In that perl, App::Ack is NOT (yet) installed.

For some/many scripts, it doesn't really matter if the script is
installed or not, but for all scripts that invoke modules it *does*
matter.

I certainly do NOT see this change as "more modern"

Perl has been configured to use $Config{startperl}. Use it!

$ perl -V:startperl
startperl='#!/pro/bin/perl';

using perl5.00307 .. 5.14   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE