On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:39:00 +0000, Tim Bunce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> FWIW, the reason I'm digging here is because I agree there may be
> some value in the DBI supporting something along these lines, but
> I need a better understanding of the underlying issues. More real-
> world examples would help.
>
> It'll always come down to the issue of "why not store complete DSNs?"
> and so far that's not been well covered by the feedback I've got.

I like to be able to get at the pieces in isolation.  Sometimes I want to
know the driver name, for example, without having to actually connect.  I
also like to be able to switch the database type by just changing the driver
name.

Looking up the DSN format is annoying.  So I do it once and put it in a
module.  Then I just deal with the pieces without caring how they have to be
assembled for a particular database.  Heck, I no longer even know all the
various DSN formats for the database types I deal with...and I like it that
way :)

-John