On 7/19/05, Keith Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a project that I need to connect to a DB2 database on an AS400
> from a perl application on a Linux box.  I've been reading as much as I
> can but have a few questions for those with experience in a similar
> task.
>
> My options appear to be to use ODBC or DBD::DB2.  What are the
> advantages/disadvantages of using either one?
>
> If I use DBD::DB2, according to the README file I will need the DB2
> Application Development Client.  Is this something I need to purchase a
> specific license for Linux or if I have an AS400 license can I get a
> Linux version and use it?  Can I get the client only or do I need to get
> the whole DB2 Universal Developer's Edition?  Sorry if I'm not asking
> the correct questions.

The DB2 Application Development Client is a free download from
http://ibm.com/db2/udb/support/downloadv8.html. It's much smaller than
DB2 Universal Developer's Edition. You need the client so you can
install the application development headers to compile DBD::DB2
against. See http://ibm.com/db2/perl/ for more information.

If you're running Windows, you just need the DB2 Runtime Client + the
binary DBI and DBD::DB2 modules installed from esoftmatic.com (you can
install the 5.8.4 versions even though you might be running
ActiveState Perl 5.8.7).

Note that you _will_ need a license for DB2 Connect
(http://ibm.com/db2/db2connect/) to connect from DB2 on Linux, UNIX,
or Windows to DB2 on AS400.

> If I use ODBC, which ODBC driver is recommended (i'm running Red Hat 9)?
> Is there a good free one that I can use for development?

In theory, you should be able to use the iSeries Access offering
(http://www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/access/) to connect via
ODBC from Linux to AS400 -- not sure, never tried that route
personally.

You might also want to double-check the supported Linux distributions:
Red Hat 9 is unlikely to be an officially supported platform these
days, as I believe Red Hat has already dropped support for that
version.