What database are you using?  Perhaps the driver has an option to do this.  I
know Oracle does.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Hedges [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tue 3/28/2006 9:39 PM
To: dbi-users@perl.org
Subject: forcing utf8 on selected values

There are several to-do items regarding utf8 that would be
great, but aren't here yet.

My database has utf8 columns, server/client character sets and
collation.  Yet when I call fetchrow, resulting Perl scalars do
not have the utf8 flag set.  That's really annoying.  Am I
supposed to call

    map { utf8::upgrade($_) } $every,$stupid,$little,$scalar

every time I do a select statement?  Or map through the results
of any selectall_*ref's?  This fixes the display problems when
printing a page to a browser with charset utf-8.

Is there an easier way to do this?  Please tell me there is.

Mark