On 2007-02-15 18:45:31 +0100, Alexander Foken wrote:
> http://search.cpan.org/~pythian/DBD-Oracle-1.19/Oracle.pm#Oracle_and_Unicode
> says roughly that Oracle 8 and Unicode don't mix well.

| Oracle 8 client libraries have a number of bugs related to character
| set handling, especially when connected to an Oracle 9+ server.

However, I have the opposite situation: I have 9.2 client libraries and
an 8.1 server.

> If possible, try to upgrade the Oracle server to at least 9.2 and use
> AL32UTF32 as charset.

Unfortunately, that's not an option right now. I do have a number of
workarounds: I can either use another charset than UTF-8 (the database
uses WE8MSWIN1252 anyway) or I can explicitely encode() all strings
passed to DBI. Neither is particularly appealing, and I'd rather fix
the problem than program workarounds.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | If I wanted to be "academically correct",
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | I'd be programming in Java.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |   -- Jesse Erlbaum on dbi-users