I don't have an Oracle database at hand at the moment, but I believe
that querying v$database, v$instance and/or v$parameter should get you
most of what you want in Oracle.

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Barlow, Ed <ed.bar...@mlp.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys
>

> For the past few years have been writing an advanced enterprise monitor
> for databases
>

> My database autodiscovery process is fairly good - but I have one issue.
> I cant figure out how to fetch the information underlying a DSN on unix
> - specifically I want to discover the hostname/port for each existing
> DSN.
>

> This -can- obviously be done after I connect to a server using server
> functions. On win32 I use  %atts=Win32::ODBC::GetDSN($dsn).  Sybase has
> an interfaces file.  Mysql & Oracle are the show stoppers.
>

> Are there any mechanisms/methods that can get the underlying information
> about the dsns fetched with available_drivers()/data_sources()?  I am
> not even sure this is possible given the DBD spec. Any ideas ?
>

> Thanks in advance
>

> Ed Barlow
>
> Director Database & Compliance
>
> Millennium Partners
>
> 1700 East Putnam Ave, Old Greenwich, CT, 06870
>
> * ed.bar...@mlp.com*
>
> * 212 841- 4154 * 646 645-5930

> The information contained in this communication is confidential and
> may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure
> under applicable law. If you are not a named addressee, please notify
> the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.
> If you have received this communication, and are not a named

"Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in the
hours, weeks, months and years they spend preparing for it. The
victorious performance itself is merely the demonstration of their
championship character." -T. Alan Armstrong

"The Ow that can be expressed is not the true Ow." - Ao Tzu