----- Forwarded message from "Mackin, Thomas E." <thomas.mac...@lfg.com> -----

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 14:33:11 -0400
From: "Mackin, Thomas E." <thomas.mac...@lfg.com>
To: tim.bu...@pobox.com
Subject: Sybase 15.0 >

   Tim,

   We migrated our Sybase database (AIX) to 15.0.2 about 2 years ago.  We also
use Open Client 15.0 and
   everything works, mostly.  We have been butting up against the 30 character
limit for object names when
   running scripts through Perl (5.6) ever since.  Most of the time we simply
rename things to be 30
   characters or less.  This is now becoming somewhat of a pain.  Is it
possible to recompile/tweak/modify
   something in the Perl DBI code to get around this?  Keep in mind that I am
NOT a Perl developer (he
   left!) but am tasked with trying to get this fixed.  We found some C code
that uses Sybase.h, and we
   assume that somewhere in all that is the datatype restriction that limits
the object names to 30
   characters. Can a newer header file be used to recompile the dll or am I
barking up the wrong tree?

   Any help or direction you could give us would be great.  Surely someone has
Sybase 15.0 and Perl 5.6
   working with long object names...

   Thanks,
   Tom Mackin
   Lincoln Financial Group

   Investments, IA, and Risk Management IT

   Application Systems Analysis & Programming Lead
   [1]thomas.mac...@lfg.com
   260.455.1466
   Mailstop: 2C12

   Notice of Confidentiality: **This E-mail and any of its attachments may
contain
   Lincoln National Corporation proprietary information, which is privileged,
confidential,
   or subject to copyright belonging to the Lincoln National Corporation family
of
   companies. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to
   which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail,
you are
   hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action
taken in
   relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly
prohibited
   and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please
notify the
   sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this
E-mail
   and any printout. Thank You.**