On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 02:10, Clive Eisen <cl...@serendipita.com> wrote:

> I'm using mod_perl and Informix, and therefore Apache::DBI and
> DBD::Informix
> It seems I am running into stale database handles
> That is to say a connect in my code 'works' but any operation on the dbh
> fails with a
> can't call method 'blah' on an undefined value
> after a time.
>
> Reading  http://search.cpan.org/~phred/**Apache-DBI-1.10/lib/Apache/**
> DBI.pm <http://search.cpan.org/%7Ephred/Apache-DBI-1.10/lib/Apache/DBI.pm>
>
> suggests that I need a dbping method and an example is supplied
> What 'simple' piece of sql do the team suggest?
>

> select 1 from systables where tabid =1

That is the simplest one that works in (almost) any Informix database.  To
be safe against 'MODE ANSI' databases, you'd use:

SELECT 1 FROM "informix".systables WHERE TabID = 1

This is safe in a MODE ANSI databases, and any version from 4.00 onwards.

--
Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leff...@gmail.com>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2011.0612 - http://dbi.perl.org