On Oct 7, 2011, at 11:32 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2011, at 7:25 AM, tiger peng wrote:
>
>> Some time, even committed, the data was still mysteriously disappearing
>> while another tool worked perfectly.
>>
>> Why??
>>

> ROFL.
>
> A while back, while I was making changes to a production system, I modified
> the authentication scripts so that when I logged in all my changes went to
> test tables, not the production tables. (after all, I'm not the worlds most
> interesting man <http://memegenerator.net/instance/10264631>)
>
> This was a system that I didn't use for real a whole lot.
>
> A couple months later I go to use the system for real...and it doesn't
> work...I spent a half-day trying to figure out why it worked for other
> people, and not me...:-) I suspect we've all committed more than our share of
> Stupid Programmer Tricks.

no shit... I do it all the bloody time. I change my javascript code, and keep
on refreshing the web site, which refuses to behave the "new" way. Then I
realize, I have changed the javascript code in the test site, and am refreshing
the prod site.

All the fancy tools notwithstanding, human mind can handle only so much
complexity.

Which is why drivers shouldn't be allowed to text (or talk on the phone, or
shave, or check their lipstick, or...). Lives are at stake here.

--
Puneet Kishor