Hi,

We are a well know institute specializing in global learnings located in NJ, USA. I work with Systems and Security department of the institute. We were actually looking for something like DBI ProxyServer and found the same very interesting and powerful as well. We are on our way to set it up and experiencing little trouble while encrypting traffic between two development servers.

We are actually experiencing a strange issue while setting up dbiproxy server and client environment and I thought you might be the person who can provide me some directions to resolve this as this seems related to *DBI* and/or *RPC PlServer*. Please find below the details regarding it.

We've setup dbiproxy on one of our servers. A perl script from other script is able to connect to it and also able to perform intended database operation with no problems without encryption. But, we are experiencing problem when we try to enable encryption for the traffic between client and dbiproxy server.

The client uses cipher=IDEA. We've checked for if we included required 'use' statements as well. Perl version being used here is 5.10.1 and Storable version is 2.30. When we execute the client script we get following error.

=> failed: Cannot log in to DBI::ProxyServer: Unexpected EOF from server at /usr/local/share/perl5/RPC/PlClient.pm line 79.

Perl version being used on dbiproxy server is 5.8.8 and Storable version is 2.15. When I execute "instmodsh" and "perldoc perllocal", none of these commands list "Storable" module even though I see files for this module on my file system. I am not sure if this behaviour is related to the problem we are experiencing. We see following error on the server in "messages" log file after enabling debugging mode for dbiproxy.

=> Child died: Storable binary image v118.133 more recent than I am (v2.7) at lib/Storable.pm (autosplit into lib/auto/Storable/thaw.al) line 366, at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/RPC/PlServer/Comm.pm line 179

I've also attached the perl script we use as a client with encryption from one of our server. Please, take a look at it if you think we could change the code to resolve this issue.

We actually don't understand why it works fine without encryption and only gives "Storable Image Version" error when we try to encrypt traffic between client and server. It will be very helpful if someone can explain why this happens and how do we resolve this issue?

Thanks a lot for your help.

--  Vishal Gandhi --