Robert Kinyon wrote:
On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 11:14, Octavian Rasnita <orasn...@gmail.com> wrote:
From: "Robert Kinyon" rob.kin...@gmail.com
At $work, we build RPMs of the stuff we depend on. Then, we build RPMs of
our stuff with dependencies on the RPMs we built of CPAN modules.
Then, we have our own internal RPM repository that we deploy to prod
from.

That way, we control our upgrades, we know what we have where, and we
don't worry about module $VERSION numbers.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Do you know some pages with information about this process?

I am interested in:
- generate rpm and deb packages from CPAN packages;
- Find out if there are special problems in case of the modules that use XS
code;
- create a local rpm/deb repository;
- information about the workflow in general, because there are few informations
and comparisons among the workflow types.

I have no idea of how this works - I'm a DBA, not a sysadmin. Someone
else will have to step in with more details.

In terms of workflow, what happens is this:
1) Dev says "I need module X version 1.23 in the dev environment"
2) Sysadmin creates RPM and deploys to dev machines
3) Dev does work in dev.
4) When changeset is promoted to testing environment, promoter has
ability to deploy RPMs.
5) Same for prod.

Rob

I also worked at a shop that re-packaged perl tarballs as RPMs.

We'd sometimes do this by hand; some folks liked to use Ovid (http://search.cpan.org/dist/Ovid/); we used a specfile template in our CI system for producing application RPMs; eventually the sysadmin crew settled on using Koji (https://fedorahosted.org/koji/) for building out the RPMs. These were kept in a local yum repo. Tools come with yum for generating the indexes and metafiles for the RPMs.

At first we had ourselves a toolchain -- a local lib of dependencies committed with our software codebase. Devs kept this up-to-date as needed. Over time we nixed it favor of the yum repo, and ceded management of the deps to the sysadmins.

--Trevor