On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 05:54:53PM +0000, Darius Jokilehto wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just wanted to point out an issue I ran with cols/+cols when chaining a
> couple of DBIC queries.
>
> I was trying to do the following:
>
> $schema->resultset('CD')->search({}, { cols => 'me.cola'})->search{}, {
> '+cols' => 'me.colb' });
>
>  - and was finding that 'colb' wasn't appearing in my query at all (see
> below test hacked from t/search/select_chain.t for details).
>
> Had I spent a little more time reading the docs, I would have noticed that I
> made up '+cols' - there is no mention of it at all in the docs, so really I
> should have been paying more attention and used '+columns' instead.
>
> However, as 'cols' is a valid alias for 'columns', I made the assumption that
> '+cols' would work for '+columns' too. I don't know why this isn't the case
> (is 'cols' deprecated?), but it would make sense for both keys to be
> abbreviated the same way (or warn with a deprecation notice if that's not the
> case) and keep the behaviour consistent.

Yes it is deprecated, but done incorrectly (I am likely to blame). Could
you please add a carp_unique deprecation notice around here somewhere
[1]. Btw include_columns is eprecated too, and also unmarked [2] :( git
format-patch or github pull requests most welcome [3].

Cheers!

[1]
https://github.com/dbsrgits/dbix-class/blob/master/lib/DBIx/Class/ResultSet.pm#L440
[2]