This starts to feel like a corporate process that will be tuned out by
what little community participates. Will more than two or three users
engage with this? Will they follow the code closely enough to have a
valid opinion?

As far as stability goes, I'd like to see—actually, I'd like to insist
upon but I'm not a core dev so don't have the right—a performance
benchmark in the dist of the last few releases so it's clear when and
what code causes a change. DBIC won some extremely welcome performance
gains under RIBASUSHI and I don’t think it would be reasonable to ever
give them up for the sake of new development.