The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
http://www.dbmail.org/mantis/view.php?id=1076
Reported By:                Gorbash
Assigned To:
Project:                    DBMail
Issue ID:                   1076
Category:                   POP3 daemon
Reproducibility:            have not tried
Severity:                   block
Date Submitted:             12-Nov-15 15:48 CET
Last Modified:              12-Nov-15 15:48 CET
As part of testing an updated version of DBMail (a year or so newer than
the one we have in production), we set up a test RHEL server and pulled
version 3.1.16 from an existing channel. Unfortunately, after making sure
that the channel installed all the required libraries and files, and
updating the configuration URI to our test database, we've hit a snag.

The two DBMail services we use are dbmail-lmtpd and dbmail-pop3d. Every
time we try to start both services, one of the following things will
happen:
1. Both services stick at loaded/enabled but inactive, no PID files show
up, and logging in dbmail.err for each service stops at "effective group
shall be [nobody]"
2. One service will become active, but the other will stick at
loaded/enabled but inactive; the active service will have a PID file, but
not the inactive one, and logging in dbmail.err for the inactive service
stops at "effective group shall be [nobody]" while the other passes that
step and completes normally. When this happens, its usually (but not
always) the first service tried that becomes active.

Normally, the default config would produce "effective group shall be
[nogroup]", but RHEL 7 uses nobody/nobody instead of nobody/nogroup.
Nevertheless, I tried changing it back to nobody/nogroup in dbmail.conf,
and got a result matching http://www.dbmail.org/mantis/view.php?id=2, above.
We've also tried using a specific
account, and setting the referenced files to match that account, but in
that case, neither process will become active and no PID file is
generated.

The only other error message I've seen is a "can't drop permissions"
message from the active service in /var/log/dbmail, before the messages
from the inactive service start.

We haven't had this problem on our previous test or production servers, so
I think it might have something to do with RHEL 7. I'm hoping that's not
the case, however, as RHEL 7 dramatically improved the installation of
other services we've added onto this server. Any ideas on what this might
be stemming from?

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change