Jesse, thanks for your response... That worked and postfix is accepting
and delivering mail again, but not to DBmail.  Mail is still going into
my /var/spool/mail/

It seems to be not calling dbmail-smtp for some reason, and I don't
have any experience with Postfix, just testing it because it was
documented for use with DBMail.  Nothing in the install setup seems to
clearly specify to use dbmail _instead_ of the default delivery method...

Thanks,

/eli

These are the services running from Postfix:
root         13:51   0:00 /usr/lib/postfix/master
postfix      13:51   0:00 pickup -l -t fifo -u -c
postfix      13:51   0:00 nqmgr -l -n qmgr -t fifo -u -c

>   You mention "The dbmail user can access the database ...",
> but then have postfix running the dbmail transport as user
> bin.  Is that the same user?

Sorry, I was unclear about that :)  The dbmail binaries are installed
and run as bin:bin, but the database account is dbmail...

>   Also, your master.cf entry has a "0" for the private field,
> which offhand I don't know if that's valid.  All mine have
> either "-" or "n".  Try changing that to "-" and give it
> a shot.

That was that issue, postfix fires right up now.  Now I know that
even insanely verbose output doesn't catch everything.  My typo.

--
CAUTION: Repeated use of finger can cause a system to become overloaded, which
can cause it to stop responding.