hi hans, hi jbw

i read the first terms of the drbd howto.

the problem i figured out is, that dbmail would store the new mails only on one host and if that host fails the "secondary" host can not store the data.

the same is for postgres-r, jbw

i was looking for a solution which gives me the advantage of a transparent mail system where the user even doesnt notice that one host fails. pop and smtp should continue as both hosts were up.

so what i am looking for is a way of doubling the data with "master-capabilities" on both hosts. lets call it a 2-way replication system where both hosts are able to write the data into the db.

any ideas?

armin.

Hans Kula schrieb:
hi armin,

maybe you should take a look at
http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/reisner/drbd/

This is good way for mysql 3.23.xx.

Another way for mysql 3.23.xx is to use a circular master/slave
relationship...
but its not my favorite solution...

regards hans

PostgreSQL does not currently support replication. There are a couple trigger based solutions that provide master-slave or peer-peer operation, but these all provide Lazy syncronization.

The few integrated solutions only work in Master-Slave operation now.

The project that I am following is Postgres-R. It uses Ensamble or Spread to provide group communication, and will eventually provide Peer to Peer Eager sync. But currently they have only managed Master to Many Slave Eager sync, though they don't seem to be too far away from Master to Master.

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgreplication/projdisplay.php

Page with links to other projects:
http://gborg.postgresql.org/genpage?replication_research

jbw