On 2016-07-15 13:00, Reindl Harald wrote:
On 2016-07-15 11:43, Admin Beckspaced wrote:
i see there's also a systemd folder in the 3.2.3 version:

https://github.com/pjstevns/dbmail/tree/master/systemd

and some makefiles ....

sorry ... i'm no linux expert, but could you perhaps shed some
light
on creating the proper systemd service files for my OS opensuse

would really love to have that nice auto-restart feature once a
dbmail
process crashes.
this is possble with using systemd service files, isn't it?

While I get that auto-restart on crash is conceptually a very DevOps
way of glazing over the problem, I hope I am not the only one
feeling
a little nervous about trusting an application that randomly crashes on a regular basis with something as potentially important as email.

surely, but you have two options if a service crashs

* process monitoring which restarts it
* wait for complaint calls and start it by hand

none of both will solve the underlying problem magically but "until i don't know how to solve the real issue i refuse to start the service"
won't help ypu

No option of migrating to something that doesn't crash if the bug
isn't fixed upstream in a reasonable timeframe?

define reasonable - not easy at least when you wrote many thousand
lines of code fro backends and integration between different services
and machines over 8 years.....

Let me turn that adound - how long an acceptance of things being
broken might be defined as reasonable?

frankly - where should that discussion end?

i just need to see the software which works like a wonder and don't
make other problems - and be it only that you lose adminitsrative
features which are possible over a encrypted sql connection and would
neet to be replaced with cronjobs since exectue a system command in a
web-application on a remote server isn't possible without degrade any
sense of security

if you try to explain me my job forget it - if your services (no
matter which ones) have no watchdogs you would be better served when
one explains you your job which as sysadmin means high availbility in
case of the unexpexted happens

Exactly - when _UNEXPECTED_ happens. It isn't unexpected if it happens
on an hourly basis. HA is something to rely on in case of a disaster.
What you seem to be advocating sounds more like accepting disaster as
the permanent ongoing state

boah it does not on a hourly basis - the last crash was months ago here
troll somewhere else

You are obviously doing better than me. I was getting dbmail-imap crashes
at least once/day on my personal mail server, with a total of 4 users
on it.