Dear all,

thank you for the very constructive meeting we had in Leipzig. Personally, I was quite happy since we are moving from a loose and slow-moving community to a better-organised form with clear goals and vision and the actual capacity to make public data better!

# Membership benefits:

- currently the main benefit of becoming a member association is the community effect, i.e. the individual contributions add up and provide a better DBpedia overall, which could not have been achieved by individuals, thus providing a general benefit for everybody

- the question arose that there should be clearer message regarding incentive/advantages/benefits for individual members, especially targeting industrial members. Several ideas were given and will be consolidated in a document.

# Next Language Chapters to join:

- Japanese Chapter
- Greek Chapter
- Spanish Chapter

# DBpedia Uptime:

- Option 1: increase funding for more powerful hosting of the main endpoint , a rough figure by OpenLink: 99.99% uptime would be around 50k/year

- Option 2: Community crowd-sourcing, i.e. uptime can be improved when we take off the heaviest users. For example, packaging DBpedia in docker and offering an easy way for configuration should help potential exploiters to do it on their own infrastructure, thus freeing resources to incidental (and less skilled) users. First steps are to create a list of public DBpedia endpoints and an official tutorials on setting up a DBpedia mirror.

- Option 3: Freemium model: limit number of queries per IP (daily/monthly), which are offered for free. Additional queries require contract/subscription/contribution.

# Collaboration with WikiData

A major barrier to Wikidata using our data is that they do not contain any provenance information. WikiData will only accept data that has a reference, i.e. a clear source to where the claim is given outside of Wikipedia, as Wikipedia is only a collection of information itself, not a source. A clear action would be to extract more references from Wikipedia.

# Citation and reference session
- Add links to original sources/research work. This can also be reflected in provenance.
- quite comprehensive work on the polish DBpedia, there will be a follow-up

# NLP & DBpedia session
- NE hot topic
- two presentation from GSoC
- research should focus on bigger problems

# Ontology Session
- task to research on extracting data with a difference scheme and see if inferencing is possible
- Monika will choose an upper ontology or schema.org, create mappings to dbo
- Dimitris will temporarily replace the mappings to the new ones and rerun extraction to get data with the new schema

Developer session
- overview about the dev process and the merging into the framework
- - DataID - Integration
- - RML- Integration

Other Actions:
- set up a task force for crowd-sourced coordinated hosting
- Soeren will prepare a survey to assess direction where we are going
- next meeting: application from Greece, Thessaloniki  in Spring
- add extraction framework to the discussion buckets
- provide checksum for file
- rethink bzip2 and switch to gzip

--

All the best,
Sebastian Hellmann

Director of Knowledge Integration and Linked Data Technologies (KILT) Competence Center
at the Institute for Applied Informatics (InfAI) at Leipzig University
Executive Director of the DBpedia Association
Projects: http://dbpedia.org, http://nlp2rdf.org, http://linguistics.okfn.org, https://www.w3.org/community/ld4lt <http://www.w3.org/community/ld4lt>
Homepage: http://aksw.org/SebastianHellmann
Research Group: http://aksw.org