Hi Anna Pedchenko,

Great to read your mail. I comment out each questions inline.

Best,

> Hi DBpedia Team,
>
> My name is Anna Pedchenko, I'm a master's degree student in
> Taras Shevchenko the National University of Kyiv. I have experience in
> Scala, JavaScript and Computer Science.
> I've done all warm-up tasks for "DBpedia Lookup improvements" idea and
> have some suggestions for this project.
> - What do you think about rewriting controller-code(LookupResource.scala)
> in more "functional and reactive way"? We can use Akka-HTTP(it's still
> experimental but should be stable till summer).

It is a good idea to replace Jersey to another REST/HTTP approach and we
would prefer a functional way to deal with it.

While Akka HTTP is not ready yet, I  would recommend Spray and Spray-json
because is production ready and mature. Additionally, there are some
Spray developers
involved in Akka HTTP. They are bringing the best of  Spray to Akka HTTP
and it will leave easier a future migration.

> - Also, we can move from using native Lucene index and use elastic search,
> so we'll be able to remove the synchronised block(http://bit.ly/1YO2PS0)
> and use some reactive driver for betta performance

Good point. We want to use Elastic Search or at least upgrade the Lucene
index version :)

> - I've done some draft documentation for DBpedia-lookup (
> https://github.com/meperweper/lookup/commit/570c928e25e3c41b599298949e8b99dd7c093425
> )

It is really exciting how some new technologies are solving  problems
turning it simple and useful. The Swagger was born "polluting the code" (I
don't agree with this) and now offer this elegant solution.  Go ahead!

> - Also, I've done some investigation in jsonLD, so moving from XML to
> jsonLD should not be hard

It would be better support new formats while we gradually stop supporting
"unused" formats.  This gives time to people that are using our solution to
modify and adapt their solutions to "new comings".

> What do you think? If everything is Ok, I will be glad to write a proposal
> for "DBpedia Lookup improvements" project.
>
> Regards,
> Anna Pedchenko,

Sandro