Hi Anna & welcome

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 1:58 AM, Anna Wojcik <anna.wojciko...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Halo everybody! :)
>
> Firstly, my name is Ania and I am from Poland. Currently, I'm in the 2nd
> year of Computer Science in Cracow. I have never heard about DBpedia
> before, BUT as I read more about this it actually got my interest and
> sounds really exciting and challanging.
>
> But, I have several questions. So:
> 1) do I understand correctly that in 5.8 you want the new interface to
> show changes being made (for example: [someone] changed "this" to "that" on
> [date]) - or something in that pattern? If not, please let me know what you
> meant or if it's for us (me) to decide and implement however we (I) want it.

What we have right now is something like this
http://dbpedia-live.openlinksw.com/live/
which is not real time and based on the live mirror software

I also suggest to read the following articles the get a better idea

   - Jens Lehmann, Robert Isele, Max Jakob, Anja Jentzsch, Dimitris
   Kontokostas, Pablo N. Mendes, Sebastian Hellmann, Mohamed Morsey, Patrick
   van Kleef, Sören Auer, Christian Bizer. [image: PDF]DBpedia –
   A Large-scale, Multilingual Knowledge Base Extracted from Wikipedia
   <http://svn.aksw.org/papers/2013/SWJ_DBpedia/public.pdf>. Semantic
   Web Journal, Vol. 6 No. 2, pp 167–195, 2015.
   - Mohamed Morsey, Jens Lehmann, Sören Auer, Claus Stadler, Sebastian
   Hellmann, (2012) "[image: PDF]DBpedia and the live extraction
   of structured data from Wikipedia
   <http://jens-lehmann.org/files/2012/program_el_dbpedia_live.pdf>",
   Program: electronic library and information systems, Vol. 46 Iss: 2, pp.157
   – 181

> 2) you also say "Java/Scala" but on "Warm up excercises" you recommend
> Scala over Java. I know Scala mixes Java with functional programming but I
> wonder if this is what you meant or there is indeed a choice between those
> two.

It depends on each project details and in this case (DBpedia Live) we use
both.
We'd prefer to gradually move the Java code to Scala but it's not a
requirement

> I would rather have some things everything clarified before applying... :)

If you would like comments on your application, please harry up and submit
early ;)

Best,
Dimitris

> So, have a nice day/evening :)