From: Yves Epelboin [mailto:yves.epelb...@cpm.upmc.fr]
Sent: Thursday, 11 August 2011 2:44 PM
To: Simon Fenton-Jones
Cc: tf-me...@terena.org
Subject: Re: [tf-media] Is there a way to build dial plan to accommodate
all, but still

Hi all,

I will give my position as IT director from one of the most important
universities in France, first in international ranking (for what it means).

NREN are thinking about global services, in the cloud, of two kinds. A first
category which I will call neutral, such as e-mail systems. A second
category offer, such as video, learning platforms,... is much less
attractive for institutions for reasons that I will explain.

Simon is mentioning two categories of actors: NREN and librarians. An
important one is missing: professors and academic and I will explain why.
> You’re absolutely right. They ARE the producers. I also haven’t mentioned
the most important group – students. They are, after all is said, the
primary customers. It’s their expectations, and those of potential
students/researchers who cannot afford an (old world) education, which are
driving this change in media production and distribution; “Open” being it’s
driving principle.

>My primary aim here, as the tf-media community is concerned with satisfying
the front end of these expectations – the capture and aggregation of media
in all formats – is to make clear that after they have done half the job,
there is another half to do. Both halves are now being asked to take a
global perspective on a world saturated with poorly produced and badly
distributed media (I overstate). The customers live on a Web which is
worldwide so we have to aggregate that way.

-------------------------------
1 - Global services
Neutral services may be already served by different actors, in the cloud,
Microsoft, Amazon, Goofle, tomention some of them. What retains me from
transferring such services to them is the danger to become dependent of
these private actors (continuity of services in the future, trust...) and I
really will change my mind when GCN and NREN will offer these services.
In my mind neutral services are all services accessible to a variety of
interfaces which gives to the user the freedom of choice of his/her system
and interface. e-mail is the best example.

>Yes this IS one danger. The first thing i do, in an attempt to monitor each
NRENs response to this question = whether they should outsource their
“commodity services” (to use the language of tf-msp and others) = is check
out their Federated services list. I see FederationRENATER’s and others have
“Library services” up front. i.e. They start at the back end.
https://refeds.terena.org/index.php/FederationRENATER.

>Surfnet’s page says “The driving services for the federation are publishers
and other (local=national) inter institutional services”. I think we can
this agree is a THE common perspective. As you say, it’s a matter of each
institution & NREN, individually, offering “their” users a freedom of
choice. Individually they do, which is why they are “reeds in the wind”
blown by global commodity service providers and global publishers. NRENs
don’t appreciate the strength of a combined (marketing) position. The talk
in tf-msp about “Can an NREN aggregator help manage cloud providers?” is
more about inter-Federations sharing/aggregating services between NREN. But
as you’ve said about indexing, it needs a different perspective; i.e.
CCIRN’s.
Learning platforms will not be handle by NREN in a near future because there
is a variety of solutions, a need for support and education linked to the
solution. It has to remain local (although servers can be managed in the
cloud).

> I’m not so sure. I’ve spent 12 years watching teachers/researchers,
separately & in different countries, compile massive lists of teaching
solutions/learning platforms. That’s pretty normal when a new technology,
like the web in this case, is introduced. Ever done a study on car
production early on? Now we have Ford/Apple/Google offering any colour ‘as
long as it’s black’, and a bunch of (National) “General Motors” (REN)
searching for ways to satisfy the common requirements of global groups, each
of whom have cobbled together an Edsel.  When institutions/NRENs change the
way they aggregate, the economics change, big time. The NRENs might not
handle learning platforms. But they have a role in determining which ones
are the “best of (interoperable) breed”, which in turn, makes them marketers
of the ones selected.

>Reading your next para - “solutions depend on the local strategy”. I guess
you’re saying it’s up to the local institution’s teachers. Absolutely,
although with clouds, we’re now in consolidation phase. Many teachers within
local institutions have reached out, had a global play with tools like
Moodle, ustream, etc, and firmed up on a lot of components of a solution.
It’s a bit like it was in Chicago as the back-yard, hand-built, carriage and
engine builders consolidated into mass manufacturers. Now, institutional
service specs are becoming more common. Many teachers/researchers are
driving an ad hoc combination of an Eluminate, wiki, Google group, etc, and
run a messy library. The more practical ones drive an Apple or Google
model-T. (N.B. Surfnet seems to be the only NREN which has federated Google
apps. I wonder why.)

> It’s telling that only Internet2 puts “Community building” in their list
of “prominent” federated services.
--------------------------------------
The same applies for video because solutions depend on the local strategy.
Video is not only capture and distribution. It is much more: room features
with digital board or not, automatic cameras, variety of solutions adapted
to different uses (Powerpoint, screen capture...), variety of distribution
(immediate, with editing or not...). It starts with room reservation,
automatic capture or not and, although I can find some bricks in what has
been mentioned in this group, a  good part of the full process has never
been mentioned because it is depending on the local institution, how it is
organized, the willingness of users and many other factors, all local.

>True. But Economics drives most edu institutions these days. They’re just
learning the lessons learnt over the last 15 years in the world of
real/commercial media. Edu (and other public) institutions often get bogged
down in technophobic expectations like “automatic cameras and mics”. The
choice of tools is a teacher’s/producer’s job. They certainly have to be
cheap and easy to use. If a teacher/student/researcher producer can’t use
them at work AND home, then forget it.

E.g. It always amazes me why, in education, anyone would want to record a
lecturer’s talking head, while never having enough cameras/mics for a
workshop. Andy’s intuition about Camtasia and Ingrid’s implementation of its
“Relay”, show the attitude is changing at the NREN level.

E.g. After all the capturing is done, institutions still end up with the
same ‘indexing problem’ as they have with “their” open journals. Their
perspective is still about “classifying objects”.

>Every wondered why feedback to a lecture at an (inter-institutional)
conference is not considered important enough to capture, in the context of
groups that rove between them, while lectures recordings within the
institution MUST be buried within a learning platform so feedback can be
aggregated. There’s a good reason the word “institutionalized” always leads
to discussions about who are the inmates and who are the wardersJ

>Edu institutions rarely have media producers who, with an inter-networking
knowledge, look at the end-to-end of the media lifecycle in a Webbed world.
The “willingness” you mention won’t  happen until teachers can provide a
student’s expectations (I. e. “Give me a recording of a lecture because i
can’t make it”), while being  offered additional recognition by their peers
for a job well done, individually or in a group. The way teachers, and
researchers, are rewarded is changing. Individually, institutional
management says “save a buck”, “get citations”. But their institution’s
librarians still pay a motsa to edu publishers, like Elsevier, for
aggregating the peer reviewed outputs of “their” researchers.

>Institutions don’t look at how to aggregate the captured recordings from
various institutions, so teachers/researchers/students can peer review (and
auto-translate) them and get the best to the top. It’s happening at youtube,
so a few professors like Mike Wesch are becoming global stars.
http://www.youtube.com/user/mwesch And we all know about TED.

It’s a funny habit that people who think they are “delivering an education”
want to ignore this kind of popularism. But it’s just another aspect of the
open journal movement.

>I can’t say anything about your local politics. Sounds like you’ve got some
wars to fight. But it’s always easier to say, to those who have never owned
a business, “this saves bucks”.

2 - Learning resources and academic people
For once, it seems that we are in advance in France! A number of
universities are establishing local databases of learning resources which
are automatically harvested by national servers, "the universités numériques
thématiques (UNT)" (Thematic digital universities) so that users, both
students and academic, can find references and access open resources locally
available in the different universities through one national database. The
most advanced example is medicine, http://www.umvf.org/.

>Thank you so much for this one. It’s just so important for people involved
in the front end to see what’s happening at the back end (and vice versa). I
remember when you mentioned UNT last year. I went searching for it in these
rankings.
http://repositories.webometrics.info/top100_continent.asp?cont=europe

>I had a good look at umvf this time; wondering why it doesn’t appear on
this Open Access webometric radar. Answer; one can’t auto-translate a page
of it. Regardless, these Open Access Journal/ Open Education Resources/Open
Courseware - type initiatives all suffer from the same problem. They don’t
join the front end to their back end. So while the front end is furiously
capturing stuff -some good, some bad - the back end is furiously trying to
figure out how to classify all of it so that it can be useful to global
teachers/learners/researchers. One of my favourite US Library writers calls
it “hampster wheeling”. http://orweblog.oclc.org/archives/002179.html I’d
add, “in parallel”.
-------------------------------------
The question remains to know who does the indexing work: librarians and/or
teachers. My politics, in my university, is that this work is mainly the
responsibility of the teachers, for two reasons: a/ It would be necessary to
monopolize between 5 and 10 librarians, full time, to do the job in a
university like mine  b/indexing learning resources is a different job than
indexing scientific resources. I know that because I have started the job,
in 2003, with librarians and it did not work. Indexing has to be made with a
very different view. We do not have the human resources to devote the
necessary staff.  Moreover, when you ask the teachers, they are not
interested, for teaching (and it is the same for the students) in the "deep
indexing" needed in Research.

The bad part is that it is very difficult to convince teachers to do the job
and a good part of my resouces is not available in our database
(http://savoirenligne.upmc.fr).  have no real solution to convince them
today.

> Eureka!  Thanks for this. (lunch is on me) “Indexing has to be made with a
very different view”. You know that librarians and teachers/researchers have
been playing this ping pong game for over a decade now. We also have a
separation between “teaching resources” and (can we call them?) “research
resources”. Meanwhile, the archives of communications (E.g.
http://www.terena.org/mail-archives/tf-media/)  which logically goes with
this information/resource is never considered in the same breath. As for
archiving real time communications, like streams of a video/event
conference, forget it. They either sit on a tool-centric site like Global
Plaza or are buried on some event organizer’s site under “conferences”.

>As they were saying in Galileo’s time, when “mad epicycles” couldn’t be
used to describe “the facts” = that the sun and planets revolved around the
earth; “‘Tis all in pieces”.

We want, so much, to believe that our world of media revolves around our old
associations & institutions. Trouble is, as social networks help global
users to gravitate towards their professional suns, WE CAN SEE that they
don’t. E.g. members of Internet2, terena, clara, apan, etc are obvious
associates (once one knows the regional associations). But you’ll never see
their association’s taskforces/working groups sharing a Global mail
list/LinkedIn group.

>The problem, for both production and curation providers of media services,
in whatever format, comes down to figuring out who the Global
customers/users are and helping them get together in a fixed shared
space/url/archive. If we can agree that users, like this little media group,
are just people who are trying to share knowledge with their professional
peers (and unprofessional ones like me), we might be able to take a very
different view/perspective to how we go about capturing and disseminating
their/our media.

>A Global solution is not so much a matter of indexing information. That’s
the “back-end-of media-production” perspective. Progress is a matter of
associating/conflating your (& your curating peers) excellent knowledge
about classifying information with this thread’s original question about a
Global Dial Scheme for communications. New paradigms only tend to be
recognized when you conflate world views. E.g. Hypertext (information) and
IP transmission methods (communications) in the case of the web.

>This paradigm shift is not so much different. If an old (national, circuit
switched) GDS for communications can’t be transplanted on a new (global,
packet switched) one, then you have to say, forget it. But if an old, well
accepted bibliographic classification scheme can be adapted to attempt the
same thing, well.......... it’s worth a go, no?
-----------------------------------
So teachers are needed for any national or international project in this
field. And it will be difficult to activate them.
>Amen to that. Like everyone, it’s hard to activate any person when one
doesn’t present a clear view of what they call “progress”. Activity for its
own sake is child’s play, which is no bad thing. So if someone could explain
what the original question on this thread means, i might be able to be
clearer about my perspective of progress.

Thanks again so much, simon
Sorry for being long.

Regards

Le 11/08/11 02:31, Simon Fenton-Jones a écrit :

Guys, I need some advice

I’ve just been revising the conversations which have gone on around 3 task
forces/working groups in various global spots for the past few years.

In terena-speak the main ones are cpr, media & msp.  Others include refed
and storage. The primary theme to all of them, for me, is what you’d call a
“Global Campus Network” (GCN). This GCN discussion is starting to get
serious now as the CCIRN (  Committee for International Research Networks)
members are going to have their first pow wow shortly and Peter is
attending. Even the Canadians are talking about GCN.

http://digitalinnovators.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/ryerson-university-leads-d
evelopment-of-global-campus-hd-ip-broadcast-network/

Inside an NREN, a GCN looks like Ingrid’s
http://www.ecampus.no/english-ecampus-2/ just bigger.

Norge’s 3rd aim = making it easy to access digital learning resources
nationally = isn’t something which a tf-media type person will concern
themselves with. Librarians/curators normally have to do that. We also don’t
think about problems like translations, which are necessary for a global
audience.

So we know that two professions – network (app) managers and curators  -
have a common need; to access (and use) learning resources (globally), and
so do other users. But we have the problem that each looks at the problem
from their own perspective – app managers from the front, curators from the
back (of the content production lifecycle).

We also know that each profession works hard to serve their institutions.
Even if, as Ingrid’s report says (about ad hoc collaborations) “ This form
of web meetings is in its infancy, and we expect a sharp uptake with
exponential growth.  The ad hoc collaboration differs from the

meetings and lectures in that the area is not necessarily closely connected
with the institution”.
https://ow.feide.no/_media/ecampusnorge:ecampus-webconferencing-memo-09.pdf
There are only 1m./week joining Google + at the moment. But it should pick
up over the next few months.

I’m bringing this up because the place where the two profession’s ideas hit
the common tarmac, in the tf-media perspective, is around a question asked
at this ces event’s session.
http://www.ces.net/events/2010/ipt-workshop/p/szegedi-ipt-terena.pdf (slide
9)

Is there a way to build dial plan to accommodate all, but still remain
transparent?

The idea of adapting an old National and Institutional-centric GDS numbering
plan from a circuit switched network to an-all IP network hasn’t worked.
Surprise, surprise! So could we look at the Global adhoc collaborating
groups as customers rather than National institutions. I need to explain (in
a video) what this question might mean to a bunch of curators who have to
assemble and curate the ad hoc results of a local/regional/global group’s
collaboration. I won’t ask you to actually talk to a librarian so you both
understand one another. Just a brief explanation of what you think they
might understand by the question would be fine at this point.

Kap krun krup, simon

--
   Prof. Yves Epelboin,Université P.M. Curie,
   Directeur du Service Général des TICE,

   Atrium, case 1205, 4 place Jussieu, 75252 Paris Cedex 05, France
   Phone: +33 (0)1 4427 6568/6567  Fax: +33 (0)1 4427 6544
   http://www.cpm.upmc.fr