The Digital Preservation Coalition (DPC) has awarded eight scholarships so that
members can attend the Digital Preservation Training Programme (DPTP) in London
in November.

'Training budgets are under a lot of pressure just now, but the need for skills
in digital preservation continues to grow', explained William Kilbride of the
DPC. 'We decided we would try to increase the number of scholarships this year
because they have been very popular.  This is the largest number we've so far
funded through DPTP.  We're delighted to be able to support our members in this
way.'

The following applicants were selected:

*         Hugh Campbell of the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland

*         Anna Collins of Cambridge University Library

*         Ruth Frendo of the Archives and Records Association

*         Nick Hodder of The National Archives

*         Paul James of the National Library of Wales

*         Kirnn Kaur of the British Library

*         Emily Nimmo of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical
Monuments of Scotland

*         Kate O'Brien of the Centre for E-Research at King's College London

Applicants were judged against three main criteria: the role that DPTP would
play in career development; the benefits to a DPC member organisation from
attendance; and the extent to which the applicant's job profile within the
organisation pertains to digital preservation. Applications were open to DPC
members and associates and reviewed by a small committee of the DPC and ULCC
who teach the course.

'Best practice in digital preservation has developed considerably in the last
few years but the need for dissemination has been a constant,' explained
Richard Ovenden, Assistant Director of the Bodleian Libraries at Oxford
University as well as Chair of the DPC. 'The DPC's Leadership Programme brings
direct benefit to the recipients who will be able to bring latest thinking back
to their own institutions. Moreover, because DPC guarantees a large number of
places on the course it reduces the risks associated with running the course
and that's good news for all the participants, whether we support them or not.'

The Digital Preservation Training Programme (DPTP) is designed for all those
working in institutional information management who are grappling with
fundamental issues of digital preservation. It provides the skills and
knowledge necessary for institutions to combine organisational and
technological perspectives, and devise an appropriate response to the
challenges that digital preservation needs present. DPTP is operated and
organised by the University of London Computer Centre in collaboration with the
DPC.

This is the sixth time the DPC Leadership programme has supported DPTP in this
way and it has now offered 32 scholarships so that members can attend the
course.

The Digital Preservation Coalition (DPC) is a not-for profit membership
organisation whose primary objective is to raise awareness of the importance of
the preservation of digital material and the attendant strategic, cultural and
technological issues. It acts as an enabling and agenda-setting body within the
digital preservation world and works to meet this objective through a number of
high level goals. Its vision is to make our digital memory accessible tomorrow.

The next DPTP will be held at the School of Oriental and African Studies, off
Russell Square, London from the 14th - 16th November 2011.

For more information on the DPC see: http://www.dpconline.org/ and for more on
the Digital Preservation Training Programme see: http://www.dptp.org/

--
Dr William Kilbride FSA
Executive Director

44 (0)141 330 4522
http://www.dpconline.org/
will...@dpconline.org

If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from
your system. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied
without the sender's consent and does not constitute legal advice.  We cannot
accept any responsibility for viruses, so please scan all attachments. The
statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and
do not necessarily reflect those of the DPC.  Registered Office, Innovation
Centre, University Way, York Science Park, Heslington, YORK YO10 5DG Registered
in England No: 4492292