Dear All,

The British Library Preservation Advisory Centre and the Digital Preservation
Coalition invite you to join them at one of three events which will equip
collection managers, archivists, librarians and conservators with the skills
necessary for 'getting started in digital preservation'.

 *   10th April, Adam Smith Building, University of Glasgow,
G12<http://www.dpconline.org/events/details/56-getting-started-in-digital-preservation?xref=59>
 *   13th May, Foyle Centre, British Library, London,
NW1<http://www.dpconline.org/events/details/56-getting-started-in-digital-preservation?xref=60>
 *   6th June, National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth,
SY23<http://www.dpconline.org/events/details/56-getting-started-in-digital-preservation?xref=61>

Our generation has invested as never before in digital resources and we've done
so because of the opportunity they bring. Digital collections have grown in
volume, complexity and importance to the point that our children are baffled by
the inefficiencies of the analogue age. Pervasive, fluid and vital: digital
data is a defining feature of our age. Industry, commerce, government, law,
research, health, social care, education, the creative industries, the heritage
sector and private life depend on digital materials to satisfy ubiquitous
information needs and expectations. But digital objects are fragile: at risk of
loss, corruption or obsolescence, not to mention unlawful alteration or theft.
Digital preservation - the series of managed activities necessary to ensure
that digital materials remain accessible beyond the limits of obsolescence - is
an issue which all organisations, particularly in the knowledge sector, will
need to address sooner or later.  Collection managers need digital preservation
skills to ensure access to their growing digital collections, but training in
these new skills can be hard to acquire.

This day long introduction assumes no prior knowledge except a willingness to
engage with digital preservation.  Through a series of presentations, case
studies and exercises, participants will learn how to apply techniques of
assessment, risk management and planning to help secure their digital
collections.

Presentations and exercises will help participants:

 *   Understand the range of issues associated with digital preservation
 *   Survey and characterize a digital collection
 *   Undertake preliminary risk assessment to manage their own digital
collections
 *   Understand preservation planning and write a basic preservation plan
 *   Meet and network with others locally working in digital preservationWho
should come?
 *   These workshops will interest:
 *   Collections managers, librarians, curators and archivists in all
institutions
 *   IT managers in memory institutions
 *   Records managers in institutions with a need for long-lived data
 *   CIO's in organisations with commercial intellectual property
 *   Students and researchers in information science and related fields

Researchers with interests in research data managementPlaces are strictly
limited and should be booked in advance.  Registration will close one week
before the event and early booking is recommended as we expect these events
will be popular.  Registration is free for DPC members.  Registration for
non-members costs £20 per person Register online:

 *   Glasgow 10th
April<http://www.dpconline.org/events/details/56-getting-started-in-digital-preservation?xref=59>
 *   London 13th
May<http://www.dpconline.org/events/details/56-getting-started-in-digital-preservation?xref=60>
 *   Aberystwyth 6th
June<http://www.dpconline.org/events/details/56-getting-started-in-digital-preservation?xref=61>

We'll publish the slides after each event and will tweet live from the event
using the hashtag #dpcblpac In addition we are considering running the event
later in the year at additional venues.  So if you are interested in coming but
can't make it we'd still like to hear from you.

--
Dr William Kilbride FSA
Executive Director

@WilliamKilbride
44 (0)141 330 4522
http://www.dpconline.org/
will...@dpconline.org

If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from
your system. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied
without the sender's consent and does not constitute legal advice.  We cannot
accept any responsibility for viruses, so please scan all attachments. The
statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and
do not necessarily reflect those of the DPC.  Registered Office, Innovation
Centre, University Way, York Science Park, Heslington, YORK YO10 5DG Registered
in England No: 4492292